Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,412 pages of information and 217,030 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Hamilton Goodall

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Hamilton Goodall (1848-1887)


1887 Obituary [1]

HAMILTON GOODALL, second son of the Rev. Samuel Goodall, Congregational minister, late of Durham, was born in that city on the 5th of December, 1848, and was educated at the Northern Congregational School, Silcoates, where he showed special aptitude for mathematical subjects.

Early displaying a strong preference for mechanical pursuits, he was articled to Messrs. Hudswell, Clarke and Co., locomotive engineers of Hunslet, Leeds, in November 1865, but was released by them in May 1869, as he wished to devote himself to marine engineering. For this purpose he entered the engine-works of Messrs. Palmer and Co., of Jarrow, where he remained until December 1870, having been engaged for seven months in the shops and thirteen months in the drawing offices. His evenings during this time were devoted to attending science lectures and private study, as the result of which he gained several high-class certificates, notably in mathematics, in which subject he was awarded the bronze medal of the Science and Art Department in 1869.

From Messrs. Palmer’s he entered the drawing-offices of Messrs. Thompson and Boyd, of Newcastle-on-Tyne, and in February 1872 he removed to Messrs. Hawthorn and Co. of the same town.

Desiring a London experience, he was successful in obtaining an appointment in the drawing-office of Messrs. Maudslay, Sons and Field, of Lambeth, in April 1873. Here he soon became particularly connected with the boiler department, and after some attention to this branch, he was appointed in 1875 as manager of the boiler-works of that firm at East Greenwich, a position he retained until his death, which occurred suddenly on the 23rd of May, 1887.

During his management the works were reorganized and partly rebuilt, new hydraulic machinery being laid down, and electric light installed, while the plant and staff of the boiler department from the Lambeth works was removed to Greenwich and placed under his superintendence. Possessing untiring energy, Mr. Goodall was always well to the front in all matters connected with the work under his charge. He took especial interest in the use and development of mild steel in boiler and other work, collecting much information on the subject, the value of which was greatly increased by his own contributions, the result of many careful experiments and practical observation. His devotion to business, coupled with unusual systematic habits, unswerving integrity, and a just management, gained for him the confidence of his employers and the respect of the workmen. Of a somewhat modest and retiring disposition, Mr. Goodall did his work in a quiet way. He was at one time known among literary friends as a brilliant essayist and a keen observer, while he read much, being especially fond of historical works. He was a good linguist, knowing well French, German, Italian and Spanish, and was a proficient writer in shorthand.

He leaves unfinished a work on "Boiler Construction," and a few months previous to his death had contributed to the Institution a Paper on "The Use and Testing of Open Hearth Steel for Boiler-making."

He was elected an Associate Member on the 3rd of March, 1885.



See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information