Hammersmith Foundry, Dublin
1859 'NEW PATENT BALANCE ROLLING BRIDGE. The inconvenience of the ordinary swivel-bridges at dock entrances has led Messrs. Turner and Gibson, of Hammersmith Iron Works, in this city, to devote their attention to the remedying of the objections complained of, and these gentlemen have recently patented an invention simpler in construction, less liable to get out of order, and presenting less impediment to the public traffic than those structures now in use. The principal features of the design are, that the motion is longitudinal, the bridge being lifted in toto out of its berth, balanced and travelling on two rollers, and raised, opened, and shut by two others. The massive and expensive stonework of swivel-bridges is dispensed with, as the ordinary roadway receives the bridge in its longitudinal course of motion; and the gearing is of a less complicated character. A working model may seen at Hammersmith Iron Works and Oxmantown Foundry.'
1860 Turner and Gibson of Hammersmith erected a rolling bridge at George's Dock, North Wall, Dublin. Designed and patented by Michael Kenny, foreman at the Oxmantown Foundry. Crossed a waterway 47 ft wide. 
Sources of Information
- The Dublin Builder, 4 April 1859
- The Dublin Builder, 5 March 1860
- The Dublin Builder, 2 April 1860