Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 1154342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 167,664 pages of information and 247,074 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Hampton Cars

From Graces Guide
(Redirected from Hampton car)
June 1928.
October 1929.

of Stroud

formerly the Hampton Engineering Co

In 1919 the company was re-established as a joint venture between William Paddon and Charles Apperley of the Stroud Metal and Plating Co and production was transferred to Dudbridge, Stroud.

The first post war car was the Hampton 11.9 with either a 1,496 cc or 1,795 cc Dorman four-cylinder engine but only a few were made before the money ran out and the company was bought by a major shareholder John Daniel and re-registered as Hampton Engineering Co (1920) Ltd. William Paddon left to join the Autocrat Light Car Co of Birmingham.

1919-22 Produced 9.8, 10/16 and 11.9hp cars approx 350 made

1923 William F. Millward who had been with Charron-Laycock joined as Works manager and designer and John W. Leno, son of music hall star Dan Leno became sales manager.

1924 In spite of sales of around 300 cars a year, Hampton failed again in 1924 but was reformed by Millward and Leno as the Stroud Motor Manufacturing Co.

A new, larger, model was announced, the Hampton 14, still with a 1,496 cc engine, but now from Henry Meadows.

1923-31 Models: 9/21, 10, 11/35, 14, 12/40hp produced. Approx 500 made

1924 Major Griffith-Jones helped works manager Milward and G. Dixon to take control with the sales manager Leno

In 1925 a receiver was appointed yet again but Hampton bounced back again as Hampton Cars (London) with finance from businessman John Hatton-Hall

1926 'Hampton Cars (London) Limited has been registered as private company with a capital of £2,500 in £1 shares. To adopt a verbal agreement for the purchase for cash from J. H. Hall, W. F. Milward and J. W. Leno Galvin of the spare parts, small tools, jigs, designs and drawings, goodwill and other property as may be agreed upon appertaining to the Hampton car as manufactured hitherto by the Stroud Motoring Manufacturing Co., Ltd., and to carry on the business of manufacturers of, and dealers in, motor cars, etc. The first directors are Messrs. J. H. Hall, 5, Hertford-avenue, East Sheen, G. Ponsford, 35, Esmond-road, Bedford Park, W. 4., W. F. Milward, Blenheim, Randwick, Stroud, and T. W. Leno Galvin, Blenheim, Randwick, Stroud.'[1]

The company moved to smaller premises at Selsley Hill and introduced a more up-market three-litre car with a Meadows six-cylinder engine alongside the old 14 which was now called the 12/40 or with smaller 1,247cc engine, the Nine. This did not help finances and the receiver was in again in 1930.

c1930 Miraculously, Hampton rose again now registered as the Safety Suspension Car Co. Fifty Straight 8 2,496cc engines and 100 chassis were ordered from Rohr of Germany to make the Empire Sportsman model. The spare 50 chassis were to be fitted with Continental 2,414cc six-cylinder engines. One or two at most were made before the company failed for the last time and closed in 1933.

During its history, Hampton made about 1,100 cars. Five cars are thought to survive


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. Gloucester Citizen - Saturday 02 October 1926