Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,857 pages of information and 228,791 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1816 Listed as Hancock and Co, patent whalebone coach-makers, 55 St James Street
1817 Listed at 8 Little Pulteney Street as whalebone merchants, and at 55 St James Street where they are whalebone carriage makers
c1818 The Pilentum, or lady's accelerator, invented by Hancock and Co of St. James's Street.
1819 May 5th. 'A PILENTUM or LADY's ACCELERATOR.- The Nobility and Gentry are respectfully informed, that this civil and elegant little vehicle, calculated for Gentlemen as well as Ladies, is now EXHIBITING at 97, Pall-mall. - Admittance is from nine till eight' 
1819 May 22nd. 'We understand the inventor of the Pilentum (or Lady's Accelerator), calculates by his improvements to be able to carry from twelve to sixteen persons, but we fear this is going rather too far; at all events the specimen he is now exhibiting in Pall-mall does him great credit. We wish him success.' 
1819 May 28th. 'The Pilentum exhibiting in Pall-mall, is, we understand, visited by Ladies of the first rank and fashion, and as the action necessary to impel it is both elegant and healthful, we have no doubt it will become a favourite amusement.' 
1819 June 7th. 'PILENTUM; or Lady's Accelerator.- The Nobility and Gentry are respectfully informed, that this civil and elegant little vehicle, calculated for Gentlemen as well as Ladies, is now EXHIBITING at 97, Pall-mall. - admittance is from nine till eight' 
1819 July 13th. THE ENNEAPHERON, or a Velocipede to carry Nine Persons - The Public are respectfully informed, that this useful Vehicle, calculated for parties of pleasure or performing journeys, is now EXHIBITING with the PILENTUM, or Lady's Accelerator, at No.97, Pall-mall. - The Pilentum is also exhibiting at the large Assembly Rooms, Paul's Head, Cateston-street, near Guildhall. 
1820 Listed at St James Street but another entry for John Hancock and Co, Coach makers at 1 Little Pulteney Street
c.1820 After experimenting with rubber, Thomas set up a new factory in Goswell Road to exploit his discoveries.
1831 Thomas Hancock became a partner in Charles Macintosh and Co with which his company merged
1842 Macintosh's company had financial problems and Thomas’ old rubber business was split from it and sold to his nephew, James Lyne Hancock as James Lyne Hancock (Company), whilst Thomas remained a director of Charles Macintosh and Co.