Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,140 pages of information and 223,036 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Harold Meering Strickland (1883-1926)
1926 Obituary 
HAROLD MEERING STICKLAND was born on 27th November 1883 at Leicester, and was educated at the Wyggeston School in that city, and at the Mill Hill School, followed by some years at the Leicester Technical College.
Subsequently he spent three years as student with the Brush Electrical Engineering Co., Ltd., receiving special training in the testing department. After completing his term in 1905, he remained with this company until 1913, being placed in charge of tests of turbo-generator sets and in superintending the erection of installations in various dockyards and power-stations.
In 1913 Mr. Stickland joined the Thames Portland Cement Co., Ltd., Cliffe, near Rochester, as engineer-in-charge of erection and running of a large plant, with power station and complete electrical equipment.
In 1916, he was at the Ministry of Munitions Factory, Gretna, engaged on the design and erection of electrical plant.
In 1920 he was appointed by the British Portland Cement Manufacturers, Ltd. as engineer for the planning and erection of a large extension at their Cambridge Works, the addition including an electrical power station of 1150 h.p. and its equipment, and later he was made engineer-in-charge of three of the Company's works.
In September 1922, he joined Mr. A. E. Harris, Consulting Engineer, and went to Madeira immediately to take charge of the erection of new works, which included a central power station, machine bakery, macaroni factory and the electrification of the flour mills and arsenal for Messrs. Blandy Bros. and Co. of Funchal.
He died from the effects of a motor-car accident on 6th January 1926.
He became an Associate Member of this Institution in 1922.