Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,112 pages of information and 223,032 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Harold Thomas Ellison (c1882-1941)
1941 Obituary 
HAROLD THOMAS ELLISON was in the Armaments Inspection Department, Woolwich, for over 22 years; he joined in 1916 as assistant inspector of gun carriages and in 1924 he assisted in the formation of a separate Inspectorate of Tanks of which he was appointed inspector in 1938. He was educated at Uppingham and became a fitter apprentice at Messrs. Ross and Duncan's, marine engine works, Govan, where he served from 1899 to 1900.
During the next three years he travelled extensively in Africa, Australia, and New Zealand. From 1903 to 1909 he was chief assistant to Mr. J. B. Wilson, of Cockermouth, for whom he was engaged on the design of water, sewage, and building work. He was then engaged for one year with Mr. E. Bailey-Denton, of Westminster, for whom he carried out the design of machinery for the Athens water supply, and deep wells in the London district. In 1912 he was appointed Director and Technical Manager to reorganize the Motor Manufacturing Company and in the following year he held a similar position with Auto Trailers, Ltd.
He went in 1914 to the Mamet Company, makers of springs and mechanical parts for motor cars, as manager, buyer, and tester. At this time he was also appointed by the Royal Automobile Club to carry out certain work in connection with their technical department.
Mr. Ellison, whose death in his fifty-ninth year occurred on 2nd August 1940, was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1917 and was transferred to Membership in 1922.