Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,386 pages of information and 233,857 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Victoria and Albert Works, Sampson Road North, Birmingham
of Imperial Works, Upper Trinity Street, Birmingham (1896)
From 1887 a company (that later became Imperial Cycle Co) made bicycle fittings and, later, complete bicycles.
1896/7 Directory: Listed under cycles. More details
1896 Formation of the Hearl and Tonks Cycle and Component Manufacturing Co to acquire the business of Hearl and Tonks.
1899 AT an Extraordinary General Meeting of Hearl and Tonks (1897) Limited held at the Queen's Hotel Birmingham on the 1st day of February 1899, it was agreed to reconstruct the Company, and accordingly that the Company be wound up voluntarily, and that Mr. Norman T. Downs, of Sampson-road North, Birmingham, be appointed Liquidator for the purpose of such winding up. The Liquidator was authorized to register a new Company in the name of Hearl and Tonks, Limited..
1897 Company was wound voluntarily up for re-construction. Thomas William Lench was chairman
1899 Hearl and Tonks (1897) Limited was in liquidation..