Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,478 pages of information and 233,901 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Portsburgh Works, Steads Place, Leith Walk, Edinburgh. Telephone: Regent 7234. Cables: A.B.C., 5th Edition, Bentley's.
1900s The firm began as harness makers and quickly grew to be one of Britain's largest manufacturers of golf clubs.
The company was run predominantly by the Bishop family for the first twenty years.
1911 The Hendry and Bishop mark of the bishop’s mitre was registered and readily associated with the name of the firm.
Soon afterwards, they began producing clubs marked Mitre Brand. Later models included their famous Cardinal, Master and Edina series. Another later set was named "Auld Reekie," a Scottish colloquial term that translated to Old Smokey, the nickname of the city of Edinburgh.
1914 Hendry and Bishop made the historic Stopum backspin irons for Ben Sayers.
1922 When deep groove clubs were banned, they produced many of the Cardinal model giant niblicks in the mid-1920s.
Mid-1920s. In their heyday, they not only made many thousands of their own clubs but also manufactured private lines for other makers and stores. Many Hendry and Bishop clubs were imported to the United States by New York’s Harry C. Lee Company which often added its acorn mark.
1929 The company was purchased and reorganized by outside investors.
1929 Listed Exhibitor. Manufacturers of Golf Clubs. (Wood and Iron). (Stand No. AB.7) 
Like many other Scottish firms, their club making activity was terminated by the Second World War. They were a firm of "true cleek" makers producing only iron clubs.