Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,369 pages of information and 233,846 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Henri Remaury (1833-1897)
1897 Obituary 
HENRI REMAURY died at Paris on June 15, 1897. Born at Mirepoix, in Ariege, in 1833, he entered the Paris School of Mines in 1854.
Shortly after graduating at that school he was appointed engineer with Messrs. Dupont & Dreyfus at their important works at Ars, on the Moselle, where he distinguished himself by the splendid results which he obtained in exploring for mineral deposits, as well as in his metallurgical work. He was soon after appointed director of the works. While engaged in these works on the French frontier he was taken prisoner by the Germans during the war of 1870.
As a result of the war, the works at Ars, on the Moselle, being situated in the annexed territory, were given up to a foreign company. Mr. Remaury therefore built entirely new works for the firm of Dupont & Dreyfus at Pompey. He subsequently established himself in Paris, and was for some time engaged as consulting engineer to the Credit Lyonnais, where he was employed in several highly important undertakings, notably in the formation of the Villerupt Works.
Among the other important works in which he took a share may be mentioned the opening of collieries at Kebao in Tonkin, and the amalgamation of the Decazeville Works with those of Fourchambault. He was one of the founders of the valuable French technical journal Le Gale Civil, and acted for some years as chairman of the publication committee of that journal. In 1890 he was awarded the annual prize by the Society of Civil Engineers of France for an important paper on the Mineral and Metallurgical Resources of Meurthe-et-Moselle. He was a Knight of the Legion of Honour, and acted as member of the jury at the Paris International Exhibition of 1889, and at several other exhibitions. Quite recently he was appointed member of the Public Works Committee of the French Colonial Office.
He was elected a member of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1880.