Henry Alston Hewat (c1877-1944)
1945 Obituary 
HENRY ALSTON HEWAT, whose death occurred in Glasgow on 25th January 1944 in his sixty-seventh year, was well known in the West of Scotland as a consulting engineer specializing in power plant reconstruction in factories and mines. He received his technical training at the Royal Technical College, Glasgow, from 1893 to 1898 and during the same period served his apprenticeship with Messrs. Alley and McLellan, Ltd., of Polmadie.
He was then employed at sea, from 1898 to 1902, first by the Allan Line, and subsequently by the Ben Line, as marine engineer, during which period he rose to be chief engineer and obtained his Board of Trade extra first-class Engineer's Certificate. After acting as surveyor and district engineer for the Ocean Accident and Guarantee Corporation's Glasgow and West of Scotland area, from 1902 to 1913, he went into practice as a consulting engineer and continued in that work for thirty years.
He was also prominently associated with the milk trade, in which he acted as an engineering consultant, and was a representative of the Scottish Milk Trade Federation, on the joint committee set up by the Scottish Milk Marketing Scheme; in addition he was president of the Glasgow Wholesale Milk Association from 1936 to 1943. Mr. Hewat took an active part in trade affairs generally and was keenly interested in local government, having served as a member of the Renfrew County Council for twenty-five years.
He was elected a Member of the Institution in 1924.