Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,372 pages of information and 230,039 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Henry Disney Ellis (1854- )
1922 M.Inst.C.E., M.E.I.C., M.Inst.Met., 3°, Blackheath Park, S.E.3. T. N.: 1352 Lee Green. Code: Marconi. b. 1854; s. of Colonel H. D. Ellis, late 9th Regiment; m. d. of William Armstrong, C.E., The Priory, Toronto. Ed. Private School for Woolwich Academy. Went to Canada, 1872; employed on railways and. private engineering works, until 1880; appointed Assistant Engineer on location of Ontario and Sault Ste.. Marie Railway, 1880. 1882—Appointed by Canadian Government to survey part of 13th Base Line, and on completion took position as Assistant Engineer on Northern Pacific Junction Railway, and as such located the line from Gravenhurst to South River; transferred to Chief Engineer's Office for construction of line until 1885, when joined General Middleton's forces during North West Rebellion as Lieutenant in the Intelligence Corps; was present at the three days' fighting and capture of Batoche and subsequent advance. Received medal and clasp. On return to Toronto, appointed as Engineer in charge of adjustment of track for 222 miles on N.P. J. Railway and N. and N.W. Railway. In 1888 took position on Detroit Extension of the Ontario and Quebec Branch of C.P.R., and was placed in charge under W. T. Jennings, M.Inst.C.E., of Harbour Work at Toronto. 1890—Appointed Engineer in charge of Roadways for City of Toronto, and had charge of construction of 8o miles of electric tram lines. On completion of this work, February, 1896, acted as Engineer for contractors (Mackenzie, Mann and Co.) constructing Manitoba and Lake Dauphin Railway, 105 miles. 1897—Appointed Commissioner of Public Works and Surveys by H.H. The Rajah of Sarawak. Retired from Sarawak Service in 1907, and appointed Consulting Engineer to Sarawak Government. Manager Alloys Dept., Callenders, Cable and Sons Co., from 1910 to 1921, now in employ of Manganese Bronze and Brass Co., Ltd. War Services.—Employed on manufacture of alloys for Q.F. cases and other Admiralty requirements.