Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,100 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Henry Green (1858-1939)
1939 Obituary 
"HENRY GREEN, M.B.E., was associated with Lloyd's British Testing Company, Ltd., for over forty years, and his most outstanding work was the drawing up of the specifications for the 750-ton chain cable and anchor testing machine installed at this company's proving house at Netherton, Dudley. This machine was designed with the object of dealing with the chain cables and anchors of the very largest ships. He was responsible for an improvement in this testing machine, consisting of the provision of a smaller ram which telescoped into a larger ram, and enabled the apparatus to be economically used for the testing of specimens not requiring high power.
Mr. Green was born in 1858 and he received his technical education at Wolverhampton. In addition he was for many years attached to the staff of the Dudley Mechanics' Institute and Technical School. He was apprenticed at the Wolverhampton works of the Great Western Railway from 1872 to 1878, and the Earl of Dudley's Castle Mill Engineering Works from 1878 to 1882. He then spent two years in charge of locomotives at the Earl of Dudley's Round Oak Works and Collieries, and in 1884 he was appointed assistant superintendent by Lloyd's Committee in their proving house at Tipton. In 1894 he became superintendent of the proving house at Netherton, Dudley, and he held this post until 1936. During this period he was responsible for many reports on the testing of anchor chains and cables, and in 1926 he visited Continental testing houses to study their facilities for examining chains. He also drew up specifications for many of the testing machines installed at other testing houses. He was elected a Member of the Institution in 1907. He died on 30th August 1939."