Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,169 pages of information and 210,845 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
204 Amhurst Road, Hackney.
Engineer of Capel and Co, engineers of Dalston.
1900 died of Typhoid Fever.
1900 Obituary 
HERBERT CHURCHILL CAPEL was born at Capelton, Canada, on 5th July 1862; and was educated at the Home and Colonial Schools, King's Cross, London, and also by private tutors.
He served his apprenticeship with Messrs. Head, Wrightson, and Co., Stockton-on-Tees, and with Messrs. Ladd and Co., American baling-press engineers, London; and in 1882 went to the United States to superintend the design and construction of larger presses.
In 1883 he returned to London, and became engineering assistant and draughtsman to the same firm. While with them he designed the perpetual hay and straw-baling presses and the automatic peat-baling machinery afterwards made by this firm.
He became works manager in 1886, which position he held until the patents were sold in 1890, when the works were closed.
In 1890 he started in business in London, trading as Messrs. Capel and Co., engineers and gas-engine manufacturers, and in 1895 new works were erected in Dalston, and equipped for the production of gas and oil engines on the American system of manufacture. These works have been added to recently.
In 1896 he commenced a series of experiments jointly with Mr. Thomas Clarkson in connection with steam-propelled vehicles, and in 1898 he designed and built a petrol motor vehicle.
In 1899 he visited the United States with Mr. Clarkson, where they negotiated the sale of the American rights of their various patents relating to oil burners, generators, and coolers for steam motor cars, etc.
After his return home he became ill, first with influenza and later with typhoid fever, to which he succumbed on 31st December 1899, at the age of thirty-seven.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1899.