Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,119 pages of information and 210,773 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Herbert William Edlin (1856-1897)
son of Sir Peter Henry Edlin
1898 Obituary 
HERBERT WILLIAM EDLIN was born at Clifton, Bristol, on 10th July 1856.
He was the elder son of Sir Peter Henry Edlin, Q.C., D.L., of the western circuit, for several years chairman of the Middlesex county sessions, and afterwards chairman of the London county sessions.
He was educated at Clifton College, of which the headmaster was then Dr. Percival, the present Bishop of Hereford; and at Sherborne Grammar School.
He served his apprenticeship from 1875 to 1879, one year in the locomotive works of the Great Western Railway at Swindon, and three years in the engineer's office of the North Eastern Railway at Darlington, where he remained as assistant until 1881.
He was then engaged from 1881 to 1883 as first-class assistant engineer on the construction of the Queenstown and Aliwal line of the Cape Government Railways.
During 1884 and 1885, acting as representative engineer of the International Electric Co. in Roumania, he superintended the execution of the water and electrical works for the installation of electric light at the Royal Palace at Sinaia, and also that at Bucharest.
From November 1885 ho was engaged with the Electrical Power Storage Co., for whom in 1886 he carried out the electric-light installation at the Prudential Assurance Office, Holborn Bars, London.
About 1889 be went out again to Cape Colony; and in 1895 migrated to Johannesburg, Transvaal.
His death took place at Manitzburg on 30th January 1897, in his forty-first year.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1887.