Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,527 pages of information and 217,107 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Hippolyte d'Huart (1842-1912)
1912 Obituary 
Baron HIPPOLYTE D'HUART died on February 23, 1912, after a very brief illness. He was a native of the town of Longwy, where he was born in August 1842. During the early part of his career he managed, jointly with his brother, Baron Fernand d'Huart, a blast-furnace which had been erected at Longwy by their father, and he was also interested in an important porcelain works in that neighbourhood.
In 1883, with the assistance of the Societe des Hauts Fourneaux de Maubeuge, the brothers founded at Longwy-bas the Societe Metallurgique de Senelle-Maubeuge, of which they became the managers. In 1902 the former Company was taken over and amalgamated with the Societe Metallurgique de Senelle-Maubeuge, and six years later Baron Hippolyte was appointed chairman of the board of directors. Under his energetic influence the Company developed very rapidly, and soon became one of the principal steelworks in Meurthe et Moselle. He was also one of the founders of the Societe des Acieries de Longwy and of the Societe des Hauts Fourneaux d'Athus, of which he was a director.
In addition to his connection with the above mentioned Companies, he was chairman of the Societe des Mines de Jarny, of the Societe des Mines de Murville, and of the Association Cooperative Zelandaise de Carbonisation. He was also a director of the Comite des Forges de France; of the Banque de France; of the Comptoir Metallurgique de Longwy; and of the Societe Lorraine de Carbonisation, at Auby.
Baron d'Huart was a powerful personality among the men connected with the iron industry of Lorraine, to the prosperity of which he largely contributed by his untiring enterprise and breadth of view.
He also took an active part in the affairs of his native city, which loses in him one of its most distinguished citizens. He had served as a member of the Municipal Council of Longwy since 1876, and the Cross of the Legion of Honour was conferred upon him in recognition of the numerous public services rendered by him during his long career.
Baron Hippolyte d'Huart was elected a Member of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1909.