Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,135 pages of information and 223,036 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Hunterston A Nuclear Power Station

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search
1959.Hunterston Nuclear Power Station, constructed by General Electric Co in Collaboration with Simon-Carves.
1960.
1960.
1964.

Hunterston A nuclear power station was a Magnox power station located at Hunterston in Ayrshire, Scotland on a promontory of the Ayrshire coast, 30 miles south west of Glasgow. The twin reactor site was Scotland’s first civil nuclear generating station.

1957 Construction commenced by a consortium of GEC and Simon-Carves

1964 Facilty opened. Hunterston A had two Magnox reactors capable of generating 180 MWe each. The reactors were supplied by GEC and the turbines by C. A. Parsons and Co. The main civil engineering contractor was Mowlem.

1969 Opening of Hunterston A, which at the time was the largest nuclear power station in operation anywhere in the world.

1976 Hunterston B Nuclear Power Station entered service but was soon shut down again because of salt water leaks[1]

1989 Hunterston A ceased operation after generating a total of 73 TWh.

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. The Times, Dec 03, 1977