Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,960 pages of information and 233,606 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Hurst, Ashton-under-Lyne.
1891 Directory (Ashton-under-Lyne): Listed. More details
Hurst Mount Mill  Hurst Mount Mill was situated at Hurst Brook, between Mount Pleasant Street and Holden Street (formerly Water Street).
John Chapman built this mill in 1902 and nine years later it contained 7,200 mule spindles, but shortly afterwards it was roughly doubled in size. Steam power was probably employed from the start, water from the engine boilers being obtained from Hurst Brook, but the 24 h.p. steam engine in use in 1834 is unlikely to have been the original.
John Chapman went into partnership with his brother, Samuel, who assumed full control after John’s death about 1819 and who remained in occupation until 1834 when he was succeeded by his nephew, William, John’s youngest son.
After William’s death in the 1840’s ownership finally passed out of the Chapman family and the mill was purchased by Paul Cowper who let out the lower and upper floors separately and Hurst Mount Mill thus became one of the few cotton mills at Ashton to have more than one occupier at one time.
Hurst Mount Mill was seriously damaged by fire about 1850 and apparently re-built to much the same plan as the original after which it was of five stories plus an attic and the main spinning block measured thirty-eight yards by thirteen yards. Under the ownership of Paul Cowper the two parts of Hurst Mount Mill had various tenants including John Beaumont and Co, Luke Cook, Taylor Cowper and Co, Pickstone and Mayall and Thomas Stead in the 1850’s, Tipping and Thomas and Paul Cowper himself in the 1860’s and 1870’s.
In 1883 William Tipping bought the mill and remained in exclusive occupation of the whole until it closed about the time of the First World War.
The firm became a limited company, William Tipping Ltd, in 1898 and had about 20,000 mule spindles producing medium-fine counts of yarn.