Ibstock Collieries
1825 The first coal shaft was sunk at Ibstock by William Thirby
By 1832 coal was being transported from the colliery on what was only the third railway line to be built in Britain, the Leicester to Swannington Line.
1830s Brick making started on the site as a way of using clay extracted during mining and the poorest quality coal that was not suitable for other uses.
1846 The Ibstock Colliery business was sold at auction.
1875 The business was purchased by the Thomson family, mine owners with collieries in Scotland.
1899 Ibstock Collieries Ltd was incorporated to take over the collieries and brick and pipe manufacturers previously carried on by Ibstock Colliery Co Ltd[1]
Post-WWI business conditions worsened
1928 The colliery was closed; the company concentrated on brick, tile and pipe manufacture.
1935 Ibstock Collieries was renamed Ibstock Brick and Tile Co Ltd
See Also
Sources of Information
- ↑ The Times Dec. 4, 1963
- [1] Ibstock Building Products