Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 140,020 pages of information and 227,378 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Ilford company's works were situated on Ilford High Road, Little Ilford, near the River Roding bridge.
The undertaking was founded as a private concern, following Provisional Orders made in 1873.
1899 The company obtained full statutory status
Because the company's area of supply was densely populated and despite fierce competition from the council-owned electricity works, the Ilford Company faced pronounced increases in demand as from 1900 so the plant was updated regularly.
1903 An inclined retort house was built and was enlarged in 1906.
In 1908 and 1912 carburetted water gas plants were added.
1921 The old horizontal retort house was replaced, and operated experimentally until being demolished in 1923.
Sulphate of Ammonia was produced at the works, and at a cheaper rate than that made at the Gas Light and Coke's Beckton Product Works.
1922 the Gas Light and Coke Co purchased the undertaking, closing the works, but retaining the holders.
1955 The governor house was destroyed by fire.