Indian Iron and Steel Co
c.1825 The Indian Iron Co obtained from the East India Company exclusive right to the large scale manufacture of bar iron in the Madras Presidency.
Charcoal iron works were established at Porto Novo for smelting the ores. Final [processing was carried out at the charcoal iron works at Carmarthen.
1841 G. W. Scott at the company's offices at 18 Kings' Arms Yard, London, handled orders for the material; there were also offices in Liverpool, Bristol and Carmarthen where orders could be accepted.
Eventually high quality bar iron was produced and significant quantities exported to Britain.
1851 The Indian Iron and Steel Co was responsible for exhibits of iron ore and manufactured material amongst the India display of minerals at the Great Exhibition
However, for a variety of reasons, the venture was a commercial failure.
Sources of Information
- The Times, Dec 18, 1849
- The Times, Sep 03, 1851
- The Times Sep 07, 1853
- The Leeds Mercury February 27, 1841
-  Did globalisation aid industrial development in colonial India? A study in knowledge transfer in the iron industry by Tirthankar Roy, 2009: LSE Research Online.