Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,363 pages of information and 233,846 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Inverness and Nairn Railway was a railway worked by, and later absorbed by the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway.
The line was opened in the year 1855 and connected the towns of Inverness and Nairn. Opening had been delayed from 1 August 1855 due to delays in the contractor's equipment arriving due to weather delays affecting the seaborne delivery. The line finally opened on 5 November 1855.
There were stations at Inverness, Culloden (later Allanfearn), Dalcross, Gollanfield and Nairn.
On the opening of the line, the company had two small 2-2-2 locomotives known as the Raigmore class. These were known as Raigmore and Aldourie. These were found to be not compatible with the line's needs and were rebuilt as 2-4-0s. They lasted until 1901, when the Highland Railway scrapped them.
There is not much known about the Inverness and Nairn Railway stock, but it is clear that the coaches were four wheeled, from Marshall and Brown in Birmingham. These would have been similar to early GNSR types. It is also known that the company had a number of wagons and a brake van, all four wheel.
On the formation of the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway, all of the stock passed into their hands.
When British Railways took control of the line, Dr Beeching ordered the closure of small country stations. The only surviving stations on this line were Inverness and Nairn. Goods facilities stayed for a further three years but were also eventually stopped.