Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,111 pages of information and 210,773 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

J. and C. G. Bolinder

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search
Large water pump by J & C G Bolinder in Stockholm
April 1903.
1912.
Detail. Exhibit at the Drostdy Museum, South Africa.
1897. Westman's Wood-Planing Machine.
1899. Works.
1899. Planing machine.
1920s. 25 bhp Single-cylinder direct-reversing marine engine. Exhibit at National Waterways Museum, Gloucester.
Twin cylinder marine engine at National Waterways Museum, Ellesmere Port

of Sweden, Engineers and ironfounders.

1844 Founded in Stockholm by the brothers Jean Bolinder (1813-1899) and Carl Gerhard Bolinder (1818-1892) under the name of J. & C. G Bolinder Mechanical Workshop at Klara Lake at Kungsholmen in Stockholm.

They produced a wide range of castings including pumps, stoves, cookware, and steam engines.

1873 Name changed to J. & CG Bolinders Mechanical Workshop AB.

During the 1890s, woodworking machinery and internal combustion engines were introduced.

Domestic cast iron articles were usually manufactured according to British models - these included garden furniture, lamps, flower words, umbrella frames and mirror frames.

1892 Carl Gerhard Bolinder died i

1899 Jean Bolinder died

After the death of the Bolinder brothers, the company was controlled by Erik August Bolinder (1863-1930), son of Carl Gerhard. Erik August Bolinder became CEO of Bolinders in 1888 and remained so until his death in 1930. Bolinders became one of the country's premier exporters.

1912 Westman's wood planing machines imported into the UK by James Pollock, Sons and Co.

1913-1917 For a list of the models and prices of Marine Motors see the 1917 Red Book

From 1932-1933, the plant in Kallhäll was separated from the Stockholm part and was named Bolinders Fabriks AB. The Bolinder Workshop Division was merged with Munktell's Mechanical Workshop in Eskilstuna and was called AB Bolinder-Munktell (BM).

For British representatives see Bolinders Co


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information