Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 163,457 pages of information and 245,911 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

J. and W. B. Smith

From Graces Guide
September 1909.
December 1910.
August 1912.
August 1912.
February 1914.
1921.

of Farringdon Rd, London

See also: A Detailed History (PDF) describing the history of the company and providing sources for the information below

1839 John Smith began trading in Edinburgh as a glass cutter

1844 Works at 1 Amphion Place, North Back of Canongate, Edinburgh

Ca.1850 John Smith opened a glass warehouse in Stone Cutter Street, London, selling lamp glasses and shades.

By 1861 John Smith’s younger brother, William Bailey Smith, moved to London as manager of the glass warehouse.

1865 John Smith moved his works to Bangor Road, Leith.

Ca.1868 – William Bailey Smith became a partner in the firm, now called J. & W. B. Smith.

1871 London warehouse moved to 23 Farringdon Road.

1877 John Smith retired from the firm, now described as “.. glass globe and lamp shade manufacturers”.

Late 1880s Joseph Greaves Watkinson joined the firm as a partner.

By 1894 had expanded into No 21 Farringdon Road.

Ca.1894 Established a plate glass works at 106 Virginia Road, Shoreditch

1895 Described as “.... glass manufacturers and lamp & gas shade & globes, plate glass merchants, bevellers, silverers and brilliant cutters”

1898 William Bailey Smith retired, leaving J. G. Watkinson as sole proprietor.

Ca.1905 Expanded plate glass works into no 104 Virginia Road.

1906 Expanded into 19 Farringdon Road.

1908 Expanded into 17 Farringdon Road.

1911 Began to sell electric lighting.

Ca.1913 Opened a wholesale warehouse at 118 Howard Street, Glasgow.

1914 Sudden death of Joseph Greaves Watkinson. His younger brother Frederick Watkinson became manager but J. G. Watkinson’s estate owned the business.

1917 Firm incorporated at J. & W. B. Smith Limited, company number 146734, capital £70,000. Managing Director Frederick Watkinson.

1924 Frederick Watkinson resigned and Arthur Henry Miller became MD.

1926 J. & W. B. Smith Limited was acquired by Lighting Trades.

1927 Moved with Lighting Trades to new premises at 30 – 31 Farringdon Street, where the combined company was referred to as “Lighting Trades Limited, incorporating J. & W. B. Smith Limited”

1934 Resolution to wind up J & W B Smith Limited voluntarily agreed at EGM.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information