Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,414 pages of information and 211,641 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
James Barton (1826-1913)
M. Inst. C. E. of Dundalk.
Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers.
1914 Obituary 
JAMES BARTON, a prominent Irish engineer, whose name will be especially identified with the project for a physical connection between Ireland and Great Britain, died at Dundalk on the 13th January, 1913, at the advanced age of 87.
The son of the late Mr. John Barton, of Stonehouse, County Dublin, he was in early life associated with the late Sir John McNeill, one of the pioneers of railway construction in Ireland.
Amongst other railways upon which Mr. Barton was engaged may be mentioned the Dundalk and Enniskillen, Derry Central, Clogher Valley, Dundalk and Greenore, Banbridge Extension, light railways in Donegal, and the Belfast Junction line, which included the construction of the well-known Boyne Viaduct, built on the then novel lattice-girder principle.
He also designed and carried out works in Carlingford Lough, comprising the creation of a harbour of refuge and the construction of a pier and station at Greenore, now used for the cross-channel service. He contributed a Paper on these works to the Proceedings.
Amongst other works, he improved the port of Newry by extensive dredging operations between Newry Canal and Warrenpoint.
Mr. Barton was a firm believer in the practicability of an Irish Channel Tunnel, carrying out geological investigations near Larne, and advocating its construction both on economic and political grounds. He was a prominent churchman and took great interest in church work. One of his sons, Sir John G. Barton, C.B., is the Commissioner of Valuation and Chief Boundary Surveyor of Ireland, and another son, Mr. E. G. Barton, M.Inst.C.E., died in India within a few days of his father’s death.
Mr. Barton had been connected with The Institution for nearly 60 years, having been elected a Member on the 1st March, 1853, and from 1898 to 1903 he was a Member of the Council.