Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,834 pages of information and 210,602 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
James Deas (1859-1910)
1910 Obituary 
JAMES DEAS was born at Leven, Fifeshire, on 17th January 1859, and was educated at Scoonie, near Leven.
He served an apprenticeship of seven years with Messrs. Henry Balfour and Co., Durie Foundry, Leven, passing through all the shops.
He then went to Liverpool, where he was engaged on marine engineering with Messrs. John Jones and Sons until 1881, when he entered the employment of Messrs. Mirrlees, Watson and Yaryan, of Glasgow, as foreman. While still in their service he proceeded to Trinidad and the West Indies to superintend the erection of sugar and other machinery, and returned to England in 1890.
Shortly afterwards he went to Barbados to conduct experimental work on evaporation during the crop season until the following year, when he returned home and was appointed chief engineer in the Sanitary Department of the Warrington Corporation.
Two years later he took over the Water Department, and subsequently that of the Electric Lighting. These positions he held until his death.
During his tenure of office many important extensions were carried out, including several miles of additional mains, two reservoirs, wells, and pumping engines.
In 1897 he was interested in the design and manufacture of the "Beaman-Deas" refuse destructor, which attained some success.
His death took place very suddenly on 4th January 1910, in his fifty-first year.
He was elected a Member of this Institution in 1899. He was also a Member of the Liverpool Engineering Society, and an Associate Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers.
1910 Obituary