James Frost (Norwich)
The Biographical Dictionary of Civil Engineers in Great Britain and Ireland' describes James Frost as a builder from St. Faith's Lane, Norwich, and as a cement manufacturer. Summarising the description the development of cement in the late 18th and early 19th C: James Parker patented his 'Parker's' or 'Roman' cement in 1796; The patent was purchased by Samuel Wyatt and exploited by his cousin Charles Wyatt. The patent ran out in 1810, and about this time, Frost, who was constructing Martello towers, began experimenting in the Harwich area to develop his own cement. His first cement patent (1822) was of no value, but he persisted, and visited France to consult the leading authority on cement, Vicat. In 1825 he established a cement works at Swanscombe in Kent. The first major use of his cement was at Hungerford Market in 1830. In 1833 he sold his business to Francis and White, and emigrated to the USA. He died in New York on 31 July 1851.
Sources of Information
- A Biographical Dictionary of Civil Engineers in Great Britain and Ireland, Vol 1: 1500-1830', 2002: entry for James Frost (c.1774-1851) by Mike Chrimes
[[Category: Births 1770-1779