Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,026 pages of information and 213,092 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
James Henry Greaves (1846-1879)
1880 Obituary 
JAMES HENRY GREAVES was born at Harrogate on 7th June 1846.
After serving five years' apprenticeship to Messrs. Thwaites and Carbutt, Bradford, he was employed by that firm for a short time as their representative, and travelled for them on the continent. This position he resigned to undertake an engagement under Dr. Siemens, by whom he was employed for several years in superintending the erection of steel and other works, both in this country and in Russia.
In 1877 he was appointed manager of Messrs. Robey & Co.'s establishment at Breslau, and continued in that capacity to the time of his death, which took place at Goerbersdorf, Schlessin, on 9th January 1879, in the thirty-third year of his age.
He became a Member of the Institution in 1870.
1879 Obituary 
MR. JAMES HENRY GREAVES was born at Harrogate on the 7th of June, 1846.
He served a pupilage of five years with Messrs. Thwaites and Carbutt of Bradford, and on the expiration of his apprenticeship remained in their employment for one year longer, travelling as their salesman of steam hammers and rotary blowers on the Continent.
In 1869 he was engaged by Dr. Siemens, first at the steel works at Swansea, and afterwards in planning and superintending the erection of regenerative furnaces at Bradford and on the Continent, particularly in Russia, where he also became consulting engineer to the Sornovo and Aziana Pertoffeks Blast Furnace, Iron and Steel Works.
The condition of the iron trade becoming stagnant, in the latter part of 1877 he accepted an engagement as manager of Messrs. Robey and Co.’s branch establishment at Breslau, which he held up to the time of his death, at Goerbersdorf, on the 9th of January, 1859.
Prior to leaving Bradford, Mr. Qreaves held a commission as lieutenant in the 2nd West Riding Yorkshire Artillery Volunteers.
He was elected an Associate of this Institution on the 7th of May, 1872.