Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,996 pages of information and 212,788 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
James John Clark (c1883-1947)
Lecturer, Mechanical Engineering, The University, Liverpool.
1948 Obituary 
"Major JAMES JOHN CLARK, M .Erig , Wh.Ex., was identified with technical education during the whole of his professional career, and for over twenty-five years had occupied the position of lecturer in mechanical engineering at Liverpool University. He received his education at the Liverpool Institute Central Technical School, where he won a Whitworth Exhibition, and at the University of Liverpool. His apprenticeship was served in that city with Messrs. Clark and Martin, Ltd., from 1899 to 1904, to whom he returned as assistant to the works manager from 1908 to 1910. He then gained valuable experience as draughtsman and technical assistant to Professor Watkinson during the erection and equipment of the engineering laboratories at the University.
He was appointed assistant lecturer and demonstrator in 1912, but at the outbreak of the war in 1914, he joined the Royal Engineers and saw service in Gallipoli, Egypt, and Palestine, and was mentioned in despatches. He was later commissioned in the R.A.S.C. as workshop officer and was in charge of the motor boat section, Suez Canal Defences. On demobilization in 1919 with the rank of major, he was appointed lecturer at the University of Liverpool. In addition he had the charge of courses in design and drawing. For a number of years he also acted as consultant to the Liverpool Refrigeration Co and in 1921 became honorary secretary of the University's Military Education Committee.
In 1939 he was appointed military representative of the Liverpool University Joint Recruiting Board, and later commanded the R.E.M.E. unit of the University Senior Training Corps. Major Clark, whose death, in his sixty-fourth year, occurred on 5th April 1947, was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1913 and was transferred to Membership in 1926."