Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,384 pages of information and 216,989 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
James M. Camp (1859-1927)
1927 Obituary 
JAMES M. CAMP died at Pittsburgh on October 24, 1927, following a short illness.
He was born in Pittsburgh in 1859, and graduated as a Civil Engineer from what is now the University of Pittsburgh.
His first association with the steel industry was in 1882, when he became assistant chief chemist of the Pittsburgh Steel Casting Co., Pittsburgh.
In 1889 he was appointed chief chemist at the plant of the Allegheny Bessemer Steel Co., which later became the Duquesne Works of the Carnegie Steel Co. He remained at that plant in charge of the chemical and physical testing department unti11911, during which time he served for one year as assistant superintendent of blast-furnaces under James Gayley.
In 1907 he was appointed Chairman of the Chemists Committee of the United States Steel Corporation, and held that position until his death. As head of the Committee he had charge of the compilation of all the books published on the results of the activities of the Committee.
Since 1911 he had been director of the educational activities of the Carnegie Steel Co., which included a school for salesmen and works schools to provide technical training for workmen, at the Homestead, Duquesne, and Edgar Thomson works.
He twice presented papers before the American Iron and Steel Institute— in 1912, "Technical Training for Salesmen," and in 1921, "The Relation of the Iron and Steel Industries to the Chemical Industries." He also wrote, in collaboration with C. B. Francis, "The Making, Shaping, and Treating of Steel," a text-book in common use in technical schools and colleges in America, and generally recognised as authoritative in the field of iron and steel manufacture.
He was a member of the American Iron and Steel Institute, the Engineers Society of Western Pennsylvania, the American Society for Steel Treating, and the American Chemical Society. At the time of his death he was director of the Bureau of Technical Instruction of the Carnegie Steel Co.
He was elected a member of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1901.