Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,221 pages of information and 215,682 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

James MacLellan Blair

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

James MacLellan Blair (1839-1906), director of P. and W. MacLellan


1906 Obituary [1]

JAMES MACLELLAN BLAIR, born at Glasgow in 1839, was educated at Glasgow High School, and commenced his engineering career as an apprentice in his uncles’ firm, Messrs. P. and W. MacLellan, Clutha Ironworks, Glasgow.

On the expiration of his articles he was entrusted with the execution of several important contracts, and subsequently, in 1865, he established the firm of Messrs. Blair and Gray, carrying on business at the Clydesdale Ironworks, Glasgow, until 1872, when the partnership was dissolved, and Mr. Blair rejoined Messrs. P. and W. MacLellan.

Three years later he became a partner in the firm, and so continued until its formation into a limited company in 1890, when he joined the board of directors, retaining the position until his death. The operations of the firm comprised the construction of machinery and of land and marine boilers, and the erection of iron bridges, roofs, piers, jetties and lighthouse towers; many of the contracts being personally superintended by Mr. Blair.

He died suddenly in London on the 19th April, 1906.

Mr. Blair was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 2nd April, 1878, and was subsequently placed in the class of Associate Members.


1906 Obituary [2]

JAMES MACLELLAN BLAIR, whose death occurred on April 19, 1906, was well known in the iron trade circles of Glasgow. Trained as an engineer, he became associated with the firm of P. & W. MacLellan, Glasgow, and for whom he executed contracts in various countries. In 1873 he was assumed a partner, and so continued until the formation of the present company in 1890, when he was appointed a director, a position which he held until his death.

He was elected a member of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1885.


1906 Obituary [3]

. . . a director of P. and W. MacLellan . . [more]


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information