Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,019 pages of information and 213,092 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
James Marshall (1837-1922) of of Marshall, Sons and Co
c1837 Born at Stalybridge the son of William Marshall
1851 Living at Back Street, Gainsborough (age 14 born Manchester) with parents and brother. 
1857 Became a partner in his father's company; the name was changed to William Marshall and Son.
1861 Living at Trinity Street, Gainsborough (age 24 born Staleybridge), Engineer. Living with father William Marshall (age 48 born Gainsborough), Master Engineer employing 21 men and 10 boys. One servant. 
1862 With his brother Henry Dickenson Marshall they took over the running of Marshall, Sons and Co.
1871 Living at Bridge Street, Gainsborough (age 34 born Pateley Bridge, Cheshire), Mechanical Engineer, Managing Director employing 521 men and 85 boys. With wife Fanny (age 25 born Woolwich) and children Lilian Edith (age 6), Herbert John Marshall (age 5), Florence (age 3), Fanny Maud (age 2) and Edith Constance (age 1). Four servants. 
1881 Living at Spital Terrace, Gainsborough (age 44 born Staleybridge), Mechanical Engineer and Managing Director employing 1,437 men and 137 boys. With wife Fanny (age 36) and children Florence (age 13), Maud (age 12) Edith (age 11), May (age 7), Hugh (age 6) and Winfred (age 1). Six servants. 
1891 Living at Cleveland House, 15 Spital Terrace, Gainsborough (age 54 born Stalybridge), Mechanical Manufacturing Engineer. With wife Fanny (age 44) and children Lilian E. Parish, wife of Rev. Parish (age 26); Herbert J. Marshall(age 25), Mechanical engineer, Assistant Manager of Works; Florence (age 23); Fanny M. (age 22); Edith C. (age 21); Mary A. (age 17) and James H. (age 16). Five servants. 
1922 Obituary 
JAMES MARSHALL was born in Manchester in 1836, and his connexion with Gainsborough goes back to 1848, when his father, the late Mr. William Marshall, purchased an old established engineering and wheelwright business, in which the son received his early training. The business steadily increased, and in 1857 he was taken into partnership, the name of the firm being changed to William Marshall and Son.
In 1861 the late Mr. Henry D. Marshall (at one time, Member of Council), also joined the firm, and on the death of Mr. William Marshall in the same year, the business was converted into a limited company, the two brothers acting as managing directors.
The area of the works expanded from 14 acres to over 45 acres, while over 4,000 men are now employed. The whole of the extensions not only comprised the Britannia Works, as the Trent Works, the Carr House Works and new Power Station were subsequently added.
On the occasion of the Lincoln Summer Meeting of this Institution in 1920, a visit was paid to these works, where the members were able to see the great extent of the business carried on. Over 175,000 engines and boilers have been turned out, comprising many types and classes, and the connexions of the firm with the Far East and on the Continent gave them a large market.
The firm took a great interest in the technical education of their men, and provided science and art classes and laboratories; they also established commercial courses covering English, French, book-keeping, etc.
Mr. James Marshall became a Member of this Institution in 1871, but did not take any considerable part in its proceedings. He was for many years a Justice of the Peace, and was an Alderman of the Lindsey County Council.
His death took place at his residence in Gainsborough on 27th February 1922, at the age of eighty-five.