Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,841 pages of information and 210,602 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
James Morgan (1837-1899)
1900 Obituary 
JAMES MORGAN, born on the 25th March, 1837, was educated at Liverpool College, and received his early training as an Architect.
In 1859 he entered the office of the late Mr. James Newlands, the first Borough Engineer of Liverpool, as an Assistant. After going through the departments of this office, engaged in carrying out various works, such as public baths, sewers, roads, etc., he was recommended, in the year 1872, for appointment as Chief Surveyor of Roads under the then Borough and Water Engineer, Mr. George F. Deacon, at a period when the latter commenced the reconstruction of the roads of the city on improved principles.
From that time until his death Mr. Morgan had charge of the roads and tramways as Chief Surveyor, reconstructing almost the whole of the principal streets of the city, as well as about 60 miles of tramways, these reconstructions being accomplished by Corporation workmen under his personal superintendence.
In addition to the above he was appointed, in 1898, Deputy City Engineer of Liverpool, on the recommendation of the present City Engineer, Mr. John A. Brodie.
At the time of his death, which took place on the 15th September, 1899, Mr. Morgan had given over forty years’ continuous and most valuable service to the City of Liverpool.
He was elected an Associate Member of the Institution on the 4th February, 1890.