Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,384 pages of information and 211,458 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
James Scott (1846-1903)
1904 Obituary 
JAMES SCOTT, son of the late Mr. Thomas Scott, was born on the 20th October, 1846, at Keighley, Yorkshire. He served a pupilage to his father from 1862 to 1866, being engaged during that time on the construction of a portion of the Metropolitan Railway between Euston and Paddington, and of the Marple, New Mills and Hayfield line of the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway Company.
From 1866 to 1868 he was employed as Contractor’s Engineer on Contract No. 1 of the Midland Railway’s London Extension from the North London Railway, Kentish Town, to St. Pancras Goods-Yard.
From 1868 to 1873 he was Contractor’s Engineer on Contract No. 1 of the Settle and Carlisle Railway, and from 1873 to 1878 he occupied a similar position on the widening of the London and North-Western Railway’s main line, from King’s Langley to Bletchley, and from Clydach to Bryn Mawr.
He was then employed from 1878 to 1883 on the Weymouth and Abbotsbury Railway, the widening of the Cheshire lines at Liverpool, and the River Witham Outfall Works at Boston; from 1883 to 1888, on the Baltinglass Extension of the Great Southern and Western Railway of Ireland, and on the Ripley and Heanor Extension of the Midland Railway, and the Nottingham Suburban Railway.
From 1888 to 1895 he was employed as Contractor’s Agent in superintending the construction of the Dore and Chinley Railway, Contract No. 2. The principal work on that section was the Cowburn Tunnel, nearly 4,000 yards in length, which, passing under Cowburn Hill, 800 feet above the tunnel, had to be worked from two faces and without shafts, by driving a bottom heading right through.
From 1895 to 1899 Mr. Scott was the Contractor’s Chief Agent on the Great Central Railway Extension to London, Contract KO. 4, from Rugby to Woodford, on which the Catesby Tunnel, 3,000 yards in length, was constructed in the short period of two years and two weeks.
Since 1899 he was engaged in a similar capacity on the Thackley Tunnel and widening of the main line, for the Midland Railway Company, on the Great Central contract from Neasden to Northolt, and on the widening of the Midland Railway from Finchley Road to Welsh Harp.
Mr. Scott died on the 2.7th November, 1903. He was a most able Contractors’ Agent, and carried out successfully some difficult and important undertakings.
He was elected an Associate Member of the Institution on the 1st May, 1894.
1903 Obituary