Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 139,057 pages of information and 225,328 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
James and Browne were automobile manufacturers, based in Westminster and Hammersmith, London between 1896 and 1910.
The James and Browne factory was located at the Chiswick end of King's Street in West London, and there was a car showroom on Oxford Street.
1898 Dissolution of the Partnership between Tom Bousquet Browne and John Melville James carrying on business as Manufacturing and Contracting Engineers at 39 Victoria-street Westminster under the style or firm of James and Browne as from the 16th day of May 1898. The business was carried on by Tom Bousquet Browne in partnership with Francis Leigh Martineau under the same style of James and Browne..
1899 Claim to have made several cars; of 155 Buckingham Palace Road.
1901 June. Constructing an automobile based on the Browne-Martineau system.
1901 July. Details of the commutator.
1901 November. Details of the 8-hp car.
The early cars had an unusual engine layout with the flywheel between the cylinders. The engines were mid mounted in the chassis and the cylinders were horizontal. Drive was to the rear wheels via a 4 speed gearbox and chain. The gearbox is in 2 parts, that are linked by a connecting rod. The left containing 2nd and 4th gear, and the right 1st, 3rd and reverse.
The 2 cylinder engine is rated at 9 HP, and is just over 2.5 litres in size. A total loss oil system is used on the car, lubricating 6 main oil-ways. James and Browne also launched a 4 cylinder version (16 HP), of a similar design to the horizontal 2 cylinder engine.
1902 Partnership dissolved; Browne became managing director of James and Browne, motor manufacturers of Hammersmith.
1902 January. James and Browne formed.
1904 February. Details of the 12-hp engine.
1905 September. Details of the T.T. car.
1905 November. Details of the 25-hp car.
1906 Produced 14-16, 18-22 and 25-30 h.p. models with horizontal engines. 
In 1906 a vertical engined car was introduced known as the Vertex and available as either a 20 hp four or 30/40 hp six cylinder.
1911 Directory lists them as James & Browne Limited, 342 King Street, Hammersmith, London W and as motor car manufacturers. 
Only two of their cars are known to have survived. One was built in 1902 and the other in 1904. The 1902 model has belonged to the students of the City & Guilds College Union (Engineering Faculty of Imperial College) since 1934. The Note: James & Browne Car No. 39, constructed 1901, still runs in the Veteran Car Annual Run to Brighton.
List of Registrations