Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,357 pages of information and 233,846 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Joel Spiller (of Bridgwater)

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Joel Spiller (1804-1853) of Bridgwater, Somerset.

1804 Born at Wellington, Somerset, the third child of Robert Spiller & Hannah (surname unknown).

1829 Joel Spiller, son of a Somerset ironmonger, established a flour milling business in Bridgwater

His first marriage was to Sarah Taylor Durston (1804-1838) (with no issue).

His second marriage was to Margaret Lamb (1818-1860) in 1844 at Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorganshire, Wales.

1847 March 2nd. Birth of twin daughters at Bridgwater.[1]

Joel & Margaret had three daughters: Janet (1847-1935), Kate (1847-1915) & Margaret (1851-1936).

1850 His cousin, Joel Spiller, patented an ingenious arrangement for cleansing and separating wheat. The machine was exhibited in the Great Exhibition of 1851. This apparatus was employed in his last important work at Battersea, which was a steam flour mill for his cousin, Mr. Joel Spiller, of Bridgwater.

1853 The mill was erected at Cardiff.

Soon after Mr. Spiller (of Bridgwater) died whilst inspecting a new mill at Cardiff.

When Joel Spiller died in 1853, it was his wife Margaret who was left to bring up his three daughters. Margaret died seven years later in 1860, leaving three young daughters. Kate and Margaret are recorded living with Ann Spiller (sister of Joel (1804-1853) on the 1861 census.

Having no sons, his cousin, Joel Spiller, moved from Battersea to take charge of the business Spillers and Browne which became Spillers.

Edmund Porter, Bridgwater Industry Past and Present (1971) reports that “Sunnybank", the home of members of the Spiller family, nieces of John Browne, the two ladies being actively associated with education within the Borough.

See Also


Sources of Information

  1. Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette - Thursday 11 March 1847