Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,501 pages of information and 233,941 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John Andrew Simpson (1871-1937)
1937 Obituary 
JOHN ANDREW SIMPSON was born at New Brighton, Cheshire, in 1871. He joined the Engineering Department of the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board at the age of 16 and served a five years' apprenticeship under the engineer-in-chief.
He then continued his studies at the University of Liverpool until 1893, when he went to sea as fourth engineer on the S.S. Macedonia. An accident prevented his continuing this career, and he joined Messrs. Jessop and Company, Ltd., mechanical and civil engineers, of Calcutta, in 1894. For five years he was assistant works manager. Later he represented the firm, in whose interests he travelled in India, Burma, and Nepal. During 1908-9 he was engaged by the Municipality of Calcutta on the Tolly's Nullah syphon, which was laid down to connect the sewerage system of Calcutta with Alipore. Great difficulties were involved in the work, which was successfully completed during 1909.
In the following year Mr. Simpson joined the Bengal-Nagpur Railway, retiring in 1929. He held the rank of major in the Calcutta Light Horse, and was awarded the Volunteer Decoration and received the thanks of the Government of India for his War services.
During his retirement, Mr. Simpson lived at Shanklin, Isle of Wight, where his death occurred on 25th May 1937. He had been a Member of the Institution since 1910.