John Barton (1814-1902) of Pontifex and Wood
1902 Obituary 
JOHN BARTON, born in 1814, began his engineering career in 1847, when he entered the service of Messrs. Pontifex and Wood, makers of sugar machinery and distilling plant, with which firm the whole of his professional activity was identified.
After being engaged for five years in the erection of sugar machinery in the East Indies and in Java, he was placed in charge of the engineering works of the firm in Shoe Lane and at Millwall, in which position he remained until 1882, when he retired from active work. During that period he designed, and was responsible for the erection of numerous sugar factories in Germany, Austria, France, Belgium, and other parts of the world. He also designed and constructed distilleries, breweries, refrigerators and ice-making machinery.
Mr. Barton died at his residence, Torwood, Wimbledon Park, on the 4th March, 1902.
He was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 23rd May, 1865, and was subsequently placed in the class of Associate Members.