Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,776 pages of information and 213,825 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

John Clarke Hawkshaw

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

John Clarke Hawkshaw (1841-1921)

1865 October 9th. Married Cicely Mary the daughter of Francis Wedgewood [1]


1923 Obituary [2]

JOHN CLARKE HAWKSHAW, M.A. (Cantab.)., Past-President, who died at Hollycombe, Liphook, Hants, on the 12th February, 1921, aged 80 years, was the son of Sir John Hawkshaw, Past-President.

He was born on the 17th August, 1841, in Manchester, and was educated at Westminster School and Trinity College, Cambridge, graduating in the Mathematical Tripos.

In 1865 he became a pupil of his father for 3 years, and was then engaged on the Albert dock at Hull as Assistant Engineer and as Resident Engineer until July, 1869, when the works were completed.

In 1870 he became a partner with his father and the late Harrison Hayter, Past-President, and took part in the many important undertakings and investigations carried out by the firm, an account of which will be found in the memoir of Sir John Hawkshaw.

In 1865 he visited Egypt to report on the First Cataract of the Nile, Assuan.

Sir John retired in 1890 and Mr Hawkshaw continued the business with Mr. Hayter, J. Murray Dobson, who had been associated with Sir John Hawkshaw since 1864, becoming the resident partner in South America, where the firm were carrying out harbour works at Buenos Aires. After Mr. Hayter’s death in 1898, the firm was carried on by the two remaining partners.

Mr. Hawkshaw was a member of the British Association and of the Geological and other learned societies ; he was also a Justice of the Peace for Sussex and held the rank of Honorary Colonel of the Engineers and Railway Staff Corps.

He contributed to the Proceedings of The Institution a Paper describing the construction of the Albert dock, at Hull, for which he was awarded a Telford Medal. His Presidential Address dealt with the conservation of timber supplies, and geology, in which he was keenly interested. He found recreation in the study of natural history, and in hie younger days in rowing and mountaineering. At Cambridge he was President of the University Boat Club and Captain of 3rd Trinity Boat, and he won the Colquhoun Sculls. He was a member of the Alpine Club for 60 years.

Mr. Hawkshaw married in 1865 Cicely, daughter of F. Wedgwood, of Barlaston, Staffs., by whom he had one son and four daughters. His wife died in 1917.

He was elected an Associate Member of The Institution on the 5th February, 1867, and transferred to the class of Members on the 10th March, 1874. In 1889 he was elected a Member of Council, and became President for the Session 1902-3.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information