John Cotton's Tobacco

of Duke Street, Edinburgh
1775 The business was established in Edinburgh.
1905 John Cotton Limited was registered as a private company, with capital of £20,000, to acquire the business of George Cotton, residing at Clunie, Eskbank, trading under the name of John Cotton, tobacco and snuff manufacturer, and carrying on business at 7 Frederick Street, and Abbeymount, Edinburgh.[1]
1926 The old company was placed in liquidation and sold as a going concern, with effect from 1st November 1926, for £150,000, to a new, public company bearing the same name, whose capital was set at the same amount as the purchase price. At this time, the business was carried on principally at its factory, warehouses, and offices at 172 Easter Road, Edinburgh. The company also owned and occupied shops at 100 Princes Street, Edinburgh, and at 39 Gordon Street, Glasgow, and also occupied premises at 7 Frederick Street, Edinburgh, and 1B Albemarle Street, Piccadilly, London.[2]
1962 The company was taken over by Gallaher Ltd, the understanding being that the Easter Road plant would be run down and closed.[3]
See Also
Sources of Information
- National Records of Scotland BT2/5890
- National Records of Scotland BT2/14516