Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,409 pages of information and 217,024 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John Hartley (d.1884) of G. B. Thorneycroft and Co
1884 Obituary 
JOHN HARTLEY, who died on Thursday, October 29, at his residence, Tong Castle, Shifnal, Shropshire, was one of the Trustees of the Iron and Steel Institute, and had continuously acted in that capacity since it was established in 1868.
The deceased was the younger son of Mr. J. H. Hartley, of Smethurst, Staffordshire, by his marriage with Margaret, daughter of Mr. William Stephenson, of Douglas.
Mr. Hartley was brought up in the iron trade, and at a comparatively early age he became a partner in the well-known firm of G. B. Thorneycroft & Co. Until his retirement from business he acted as the senior partner of that important business.
In 1839 he married a daughter of the late Mr. G. B. Thorneycroft. In 1867 he was chairman of the South Staffordshire Ironmasters' Association. In the following year he was appointed a member of the Royal Commission appointed to inquire into the extent and duration of our coalfields, and in that capacity he undertook the preparation of the special reports relative to Staffordshire, Worcestershire, and Shropshire, which involved a very great amount of labour. For a number of years he was a Director of the London and North-Western Railway, but he retired from that position some years before his death.
Mr. Hartley was a Deputy-Lieutenant for Staffordshire, and had served the office of High Sheriff for that county.