Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,318 pages of information and 216,336 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John Henry Strachan (1864-1895)
1895 Obituary 
JOHN HENRY STRACHAN, born on the 12th of February, 1864, began his engineering career as an apprentice to Naylor and Bell of Newcastle-on-Tyne.
After remaining four years with that firm, he acted in 1883 and 1884 as a general assistant to his brother, George R. Strachan, at that time Engineer and Surveyor to the Chiswick Local Board.
From 1885 to 1889 he was Assistant Surveyor to the Brentford Local Board, engaged on sewerage works, on filter-presses for the disposal of sewage sludge, and on the construction of a river wall and of new roads.
In 1889 Mr. Strachan was appointed Engineer and Surveyor to the Brentford Local Board. During the five years he held that post, he designed and carried out - in addition to the usual street and sewerage work - an Isolation Hospital, Market, Fire-station and Swimming-bath.
In 1894 he left Brentford to become Surveyor to the Heston and Isleworth Board. That post, however, he was unfortunately not, destined to hold long-an attack of influenza, followed by pneumonia, proved fatal on the 6th of March, 1895. Mr. Strachan was a capable municipal engineer, of untiring industry, great geniality and scrupulous honesty.
He was elected an Associate Member on the 6th of December, 1802.