Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,946 pages of information and 233,606 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John Marley (1823-1891)
1891 Obituary 
. . . . In March, 1840, he was articled to Mr. John A. Forster, of Bishop Auckland, a brother of the late Mr. Thomas E. Forster, M.Inst.C.E., passed subsequently under Messrs. George Hunter and William Longstaff at the Marquess of Londonderry’s collieries, and finally completed his pupilage with Mr. Edward F. Boyd on the 30th April, 1844.
He was soon afterwards appointed Lessor’s Agent for some mineral estates in the County of Durham, and in October of that year was engaged under Mr. John Bourne in railway surveys between Newcastle and Berwick. Later in the same year he was employed at Whitehaven in getting up plans for the Whitehaven and Furness Railway.
In 1845 he was engaged under John Dixon, the Engineer of the Stockton and Darlington Railway, in surveys for the Wear and Derwent Junction Railway, and, together with Thomas Bouch, in surveys for the Wear Valley Extension Railway.
In October, 1846, he was appointed Manager of Woodifield Colliery by the young firm of Bolckow and Vaughan, and entering upon his duties on the 1st of November, 1846, remained with that firm until it was converted into a Limited Liability Company in 1864, when he was retained as Chief Mining Manager. He continued in charge until he resigned that appointment at the close of 1867, remaining, however, a Consulting Engineer of the Company for two years longer.
During Mr. Marley’s connection with the firm of Bolckow and Vaughan colliery was added to colliery, important winnings made, limestone quarries opened, and the great Cleveland ironstone district explored and opened up, all under his charge and direction. . . . [more]
1891 Obituary