John McDowall and Sons
of Walkinshaw Foundry, Johnstone, nr. Glasgow, maker of wood working machinery
1823 Business was established in Glasgow
1846 Moved to Walkinshaw Street; the works occupied about two acres
1868 Patented cask-making machinery (see diagram)
1886 John McDowall and Sons (saw mill engineers), Walkinshaw Foundry, Paisley
1895 Employed over 150 men.
1927 John McDowall and Sons Limited, engineers and contractors of 19 Walkinshaw Street, Johnstone, was incorporated as a private company, with capital of £20,000.
1931 Following liquidation, a new company, John McDowall and Sons (Johnstone) Limited, was incorporated as a private company, with capital of £100, 'to acquire the goodwill and business papers in connection with John McDowall and Sons Limited, engineers, Walkinshaw Foundry, Johnstone, and to carry on the business of machine toolmakers, ironfounders, engineers, etc.'
1985 This company was struck off and dissolved in 1985
Sources of Information
- Slater's Royal National Commercial Directory and Topography of Scotland 1886
- The Scotsman 31 December 1927
- The Scotsman 7 March 1931
- National Records of Scotland BT2/1985/16340/1
- National Records of Scotland BT2/14875