John McLachlan (1848-1921) of Bow, McLachlan and Co, Thistle Engine Works, Paisley.
1899 Left the copartnery of Paterson, Cooper and Co
1921 Obituary 
JOHN MCLACHLAN was born in Glasgow on 25th December 1848.
He was educated at Bunsen Public School and served his apprenticeship with Messrs. Blackwood and Gordon, Shipbuilders, Port Glasgow.
In 1872, the firm of Bow, McLachlan and Co., engineers, was formed — the partners being Mr. William Bow and the late Mr. McLachlan. They carried on business for eight years in Bridge Street, Paisley, and were so successful that in 1880 they erected works covering 20 acres at Abbotsinch, Paisley, on the banks of the River Cart, where they not only developed their engineering business, but also took up shipbuilding and ironfounding.
In 1900 the firm was converted into a limited company, of which Mr. McLachlan was one of the principal directors till his death.
Among the special productions of the firm was a steam steering-gear, and from time to time this was improved until it was used universally; during the War the company provided gear for 75 per cent of the British Navy.
His death took place at Paisley ass 2ritit February 1921, at the age of seventy-two.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1880.