John Richard Brittle
John Richard Brittle (1845-1907)
1907 Obituary 
JOHN RICHARD BRITTLE was born on the 11th May, 1845.
He gained a Whitworth Scholarship and matriculated in the Applied Science Department of King’s College, London, in 1869, and on completing his college course he became a lecturer on engineering construction and surveying at the Hartley Institute, Southampton.
In July, 1873, he entered the cable department of Messrs. Siemens Brothers, where he remained until hie death. At fist he acted as an assistant to the late Mr. Carl Siemens and the late Mr. Ludwig Loeffler, but in November, 1875, he was placed in charge of a cable-repairing expedition, and thenceforward he became responsible for most of the cable-laying work carried out by the firm. For a time he also had charge of the electric lighting department, and in January, 1878, in conjunction with Dr. Paget Higgs, he read a Paper on "Some Recent Improvements in Dynamo-Electric Apparatus" before The Institution, for which the Authors were awarded Telford Medals and premiums. Having to spend much of his time on board ship he took up the study of navigation, of which he acquired sufficient knowledge to obtain a first-mate’s certiiicate. His sound theoretical attainments and extensive practical experience rendered his services of great value to the firm, whilst his success in surmounting difficulties and the conscientious manner in which he carried out all his work inspired general confidence in his ability.
He died at Blackheath on the 25th February, 1907.
Mr. Brittle was elected an Associate of The Institution on the 5th May, 1874, was subsequently placed in the class of Associate Members and was transferred to the class of Members on the 1st March, 1886.
1907 Obituary 
JOHN RICHARD BRITTLE died at his residence at Blackheath on February 25, 1907.
He was a Whitworth Scholar, and after passing through a course of technical training at King's College, London, he gained Associateship of that College.
He was for many years Assistant Telegraph Engineer in the service of Messrs. Siemens Bros. & Co., though at the time of his death he was living in retirement.
He was elected an Associate of the Institution, then the Society of Telegraph Engineers, in 1874, and became Member in 1877.