John Thewlis Johnson
John Thewlis Johnson (1836-1896), partner in the firm of Richard Johnson and Nephew
1836 Born the son of Thomas Fildes Johnson
1873 A wire manufacturer
1896 Obituary 
JOHN THEWLIS JOHNSON, born on the 22nd March, 1836, was the eldest son of Mr. Thomas F. Johnson, of Manchester.
After being for some time in his father’s cotton mill, he became in 1860 a partner in the firm of Richard Johnson and Nephew, of the Bradford Ironworks, Manchester. The business of this firm, of which Mr. Thewlis Johnson ultimately became head, was the manufacture of wire for telegraph, fencing, and other purposes, and with that industry he was identified during a long and successful career.
He took a lively interest in all matters relating to the trade of Manchester and the district, and was for many years a member of the Chamber of Commerce of that city.
In 1892 he was elected Vice-President and in the following year President of that Chamber. Mr. Johnson was a Justice of the Peace for the county of Derby, a director of Nettlefolds, a member of the Iron Trades’ Association and a Vice-President of the Manchester Geographical Society.
He died at his country residence, Ambergate, Derbyshire, on the 15th January, 1896.
Mr. Johnson was elected an Associate on the 4th December, 1866.
1896 Obituary 
JOHN THEWLIS JOHNSON died at his residence, near Ambergate, on January 15, 1896, at the age of fifty-nine. He was the head of the firm of Richard Johnson & Nephews, who have long carried on a large business as wire manufacturers at Bradford, Manchester, and at Ambergate.
He had been for fourteen years, and was at the time of his death, a director of the Manchester Chamber of Commerce, of which institution he was president in 1892.
He was also a director of Nettlefolds (Limited), Birmingham. Son of Mr. Thomas Filde Johnson, Pendleton, who was a cotton-spinner at Bolton, in his early business life he was trained for the cotton-spinning industry. Later, however, he joined the wire-manufacturing firm founded by his uncle, Mr. Richard Johnson, on whose death, in 1881, he succeeded to the control of the works at Bradford and at Ambergate.
He was elected a member of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1871.