Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,099 pages of information and 210,773 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John Wilson-Patten, Baron Winmarleigh (1802–1892), politician
1802 Born John Wilson on 26 April 1802, the second of the two sons of Thomas Wilson of Bank Hall, Warrington, Lancashire, and his wife Elizabeth.
His father was born Thomas Patten but on marriage in 1800 had assumed the sole surname of Wilson in accordance with the will of Thomas Wilson to whose estates he succeeded.
Educated at Eton College and at Magdalen College, Oxford, matriculating on 14 February 1821.
1823 on reaching his majority he changed his surname to Wilson-Patten. He became heir to the family industrial wealth, church livings of Warrington and land in Lancashire, Cheshire and Staffordshire.
After leaving Oxford Wilson-Patten travelled for some years on the continent.
1827 Following his father's death he took charge of the family firm which became John Wilson Patten and Co
1828 he married his cousin, Anna Maria Patten-Bold; they had a son, Arthur, and four daughters.
1830 Wilson-Patten entered the Commons as one of the members for Lancashire
Amongst his contributions were developments in the law in relation to industrial relations and factory law. He supported an early bill to remedy the truck system and helped to remove the tax on printed calicoes, so liberating trade in south Lancashire.
1850s he was parliamentary spokesman of the National Association of Factory Occupiers, the lobby of the textile employers against the Factory Act.
He commanded his regiment at Gibraltar during the Crimean War and was militia aide-de-camp to the Queen from 1857 until his death.
1870 John Wilson-Patten, 1st Baron Winmarleigh, sold Bank Hall hall to Warrington Borough Council for £9000, and 13 acres (5.3 ha) of surrounding land for a further £15,000
1874 Created Baron Winmarleigh
1892 Died at Winmarleigh House at Garstang.