Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,108 pages of information and 210,773 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John Wood ( -1895)
1895 Obituary 
JOHN WOOD died at his residence, Portland Villa, Troon, on September 18, 1895. He was educated at Irving Academy and at Glasgow. University. At a comparatively early age he became massager of ironworks in Cumberland. With his brother, he was co-proprietor of the Gauchalland and Holmes Collieries at Galston and Hurlford, and the Gilmilnscroft Colliery at Auchinleck. For the past thirteen years he had the active management of this extensive coal business. Although long resident in Ayrshire, he was a director of ironworks in Lincolnshire and at Appleby. He was vice-chairman of the Ayrshire Coal-Owners Association.
He was elected a member of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1871.