Joseph Fry (1795-1879)
Joseph Fry (1795–1879) of J. S. Fry and Sons
Son of Joseph Storrs Fry
1851 Living at 2 Charlotte Street, Bristol (age 55 born - ), Chocolate and Cocoa manufacturer employing 57 persons in Bristol. With his wife Mary Anne (age 54 born Henley-on-Thames) and their children Joseph S. (age 24), Assistant to his father; Susannah A. (age 22); Albert (age 20), Agricultural Implement Maker; Lewis (18), Articled Clerk Solicitor; Sarah A. (15) and Henrietta J. (11). Also three servants. 
1879 Obituary. 
Married Mary Anne Swaine (1797–1886) and they had -
- Sir Edward Fry (1827–1918), a judge on the British Court of Appeal. Edward Fry was the father of the art critic and artist Roger Fry and the social reformers, Joan Mary Fry (1862–1955), Margery Fry (1874–1958) and Ruth Fry (1878–1962). His daughter, Agnes Fry (1869–1958) compiled his biography.
- Susan Ann Fry (1829–1917) married in 1856, as his third wife, Thomas Pease and was the mother of Edward Reynolds Pease who help found the Fabian Society.
- Lewis Fry (1832–1921) was the Liberal, later Liberal Unionist, MP for Bristol from 1878 until 1886 and from 1895 until 1900. He was Chairman of Parliamentary Committee on Town Holdings, 1886-1892. He was a member of the Privy Council. He was the first chairman of the Council of the University of Bristol.
- Henrietta Jane Fry (1840–1911) who married in 1862, William Whitwell (Ironfounder)
- Also three other daughters, one of whom died in infancy.
Sources of Information
- 1851 Census
- The Bristol Mercury and Daily Post, Thursday, February 20, 1879
-  Wikipedia