Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,256 pages of information and 223,665 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Joseph Maybury

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

of Bilston Brook

1835 Advert: 'To Iron-masters, Tin-plate Manufacturers, Capitalists, and others. TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION, BY RICHARD CORBETT, On Monday the 21st day of December, 1835, at four o'clock in the afternoon, at the King's Arms Inn, Bilston, in the county of Stafford, by the direction of the assignees of Joseph Maybury and Sons, late of Bilston, in the county of Stafford, Iron and Tin-plate Manufacturers, bankrupts, subject to conditions then to be read,
THE whole of those extensive and substantially built IRON WORKS AND TIN-PLATE MANUFACTORY, situate near the Turnpike, New Town. Bilston. and heretofore carried on by the said bankrupts, which are replete with all necessary outbuildings, warehouses, and erections, and also a good residence, suitable for principal, or a managing agent. The Works comprise one excellent steam-engine, wih 32-inch cylinder, upon Boulton and Watt’s prinsiple, having a six-feet stroke, attached to which are a forge, with an iron helve, two pairs of 14-inch puddle-bar and billet-rolls, one pair of 18-inch sheet-iron rolls, 3 feet 2 inches long, having all necessary machinery, beds, housings, pins, boxes, carriages, pinions, &c. for working the same; together with four puddling furnaces, hollow fire, charcoal fire, refinery, and two sheet-iron furnaces ; and also four pairs of shears, for shearing and cutting down.
There is also another excellent steam-engine, with a 36-inch cylinder, upon Boulton and Watt’s principle, having seven-feet stroke.; attached to this engine are a double-sided tin mill, with four pairs of 18-inch hand-rolls, and one pair of cold-rolls, the same size; two pairs of doubling-shears, and a powerful iron turning-lathe, with all necessary machinery, beds, housings, pins, boxes,carriages, pinions, &c. for working the same; together with four mill furnaces, two scaling furnaces, and an annealing furnace. The forge and mills are amply provided with cast-iron floor-plates, races, rail-roads, &c.
There is likewise another excellent engine, with an 18-inch cylinder, upon Boulton and Watt’s principle, having a five-feet stroke, to which are attached complete blowing apparatus, for the use of the refinery, the hollow, and the charcoal fires, four cutting and heading nail machines, one bill and one brad-cutting machine, and an iron cutting-out machine with all necessary drums, spindles, warrs, straps, and machinery for working the same.
The aforesaid powerful steam engines are worked by three very large round engine boilers, and two vertical boilers, heated by the puddling furnaces ; all the five boilers have connecting steam-pipes, valves, &c. to each of the engines, and the flues from each are conducted to lofty and well-built stack.
The Buildings of the Works comprise three brick engine houses, rooting over the whole of the forge, mills, and furnaces, a nail-cutting shop, two spoon with rooms over, a scaling room with carpenters’ shop over, a tinning house, with three large stacks, two sets of pots, and necessary scouring boshes, pickling troughs, &c. a very commodious iron and tin warehouse, a spoon warehouse with good office over, a large stable, a gig house, and other n>eful erections. The whole of the Works are enclosed, having four pairs of large gates for ingress and egress, and are in such a complete state, as to be capable of being put into full operation within forty-eight hours of their being sold.
The above Iron and Tin Works and the Residence are in the immediate vicinity of extensive collieries, and are by the side of the great London and Holyhead turnpike road, at its junction with the turnpike road leading to Willenhall, Walsall, &c. and within few hundred yards of the upper and lower levels of the Birmingham canal; the situation being such as to insure full share of the provincial trade in iron and tin, the consumption of both being very great within a radius of about ten miles, and it is fully expected that a branch of the Birmingham and Liverpool rail-road will be brought into the immediate neighbourhood, from which beneficial results may surely be calculated upon. The house, warehouses, office, one of the engines, and one of the spoon-makers’ shops, are freehold, and other parts of the works are part copyhold and part leasehold (for three lives, the oldest of which is not more than 12), within the manor of Stowheath. The small engine, the nail-cutting shop, the refinery, three of the boilers, the four puddling furnaces, the blacksmiths’ shop, the reservoirs, the back road, and three of the entrances, are upon land heretofore rented from James Loxdale, Esq. who has agreed to let the same again to the purchaser of these premises, upon the same terms the bankrupts held the same.
All that excellent old-established and good-accustomed PUBLIC HOUSE, known the sign of the Crown, situate in Crown-street, and a short distance from the Marketplace, in Bilston aforesaid, and now in the occupation of Thomas Hazledine, together with a brewhouse, stable, and other outbuildings belonging thereto, and occupied therewith ; and also all those NINE small TENEMENTS, adjoining to and in the rear of the said Public House, ...... [1]

See Also


Sources of Information

  1. Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser, 16 December 1835